COURSE REQUEST PROCESS
It is our belief that students should assume responsibility for making careful educational decisions. Students should consult with parents/guardians, subject teachers, and guidance counsellors when choosing courses. It is also important to consider the following factors when choosing courses:
· the career goals of the student;
· the abilities and interests of the student;
· diploma requirements for graduation; and
· prerequisites for entrance to post-secondary schools and/or apprenticeships/trades
Course availability will be based on the number of students who request the course. Consequently, it is very important that students make careful, wise choices during the Course Request Process to ensure availability. Some courses may be cancelled due to a low number of student requests.
Once classes begin in September, course transfers and changes are considered only in extraordinary circumstances and where space permits. Therefore, it is important to take both time and care in the preparation of your Pathway Planning.
Middlefield Collegiate Institute is a community of future-oriented, self-disciplined, life-long learners, dedicated to the pursuit of excellence. We are committed to providing a safe, caring, positive environment that fosters communication and mutual respect. Our focus is on the personal and ethical values in conjunction with the development of creative, social, academic, and technological skills needed to be successful in this ever-changing and competitive world.
Fundamental to the attainment of our vision is a dedication to:
· creating a strong partnership of home, school and community
· honouring the participation and contribution of all cultures within our community
· enforcing rules fairly and consistently
· developing our appreciation of the arts through exposure to a variety of disciplines and the right of the individual to self-expression
· becoming creative problem solvers through the application of critical thinking, risk taking and effective, positive communication
· balancing learning and lifetime activities by developing intellectual, physical and social health
· exploring technology and using it responsibly in our learning and in our lives
· promoting effective leadership skills
· demonstrating awareness and actions that have a positive impact upon the environment of our community, country and the world
· celebrating achievement
· creating a safe and supportive school
· reaching our full potential as citizens
· demonstrating commitment, responsibility, and accountability
The School Program
Middlefield Collegiate Institute maintains high academic standards and expectations for all students from Grades 9–12. The majority of our students expect to proceed to post-secondary education. We offer a wide range of programs in academics, athletics and the arts. We provide our students with Advanced Placement preparation courses, the Specialist High Skills Major Program (SHSM), cutting edge technological courses, Intensive support for English Language Learners and Special Education support services when required. Our building is fully wheelchair accessible.
PLEASE READ BELOW FOR IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING 'SPECIALIZED PROGRAMS' AT MIDDLEFIELD INCLUDING:
Advanced Placement (AP) Program ;
Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) Program;
Advanced Placement (AP) Preparation Courses
Advanced Placement (AP) Preparation Courses are offered to highly-motivated, academically-inclined students who wish to challenge their ability and enhance their academic skills. Advanced Placement preparation courses are offered in grades 10 –11 to prepare students with the knowledge and skills required to succeed in grade 12 AP courses. In grade 12, students in the Advanced Placement preparation courses will spend additional time with their classroom teacher getting ready to take the Advanced Placement (AP) exam(s) in May. Based on their results, students may achieve advanced placement or credit at universities that recognize AP courses.
Regardless of whether or not a student accepts the advanced placement at university, most students find the program beneficial in that they are better prepared for university study and exam writing. The fee for writing an AP exam is $86.00(US) and students may be required to pay an additional fee for course materials. Course descriptions and additional information can be found at the College Board website at www.collegeboard.com/ap.
Middlefield currently offers Advanced Placement Preparation programs in Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. Students should see Guidance if they are interested.